- A favorite of many families in our area is Meadowlark Gardens Winter Walk of Lights. This beautiful botanical garden is all lit up for the holidays and is sure to make everyone who attends warm inside no matter how low the temperature. If you do get chilly, they have a fire where you can have cocoa and roast marshmallows as well!
- If you live further west and prefer the warmth of your vehicle, check out The Bull Run Festival of Lights! If you do choose to brave the elements, there is a winter carnival including rides, refreshments, and of course, Santa!
- Take the family ice skating at the Reston Town Center! The pavilion floor turns into an ice skating rink and don’t worry, if you don’t make it this month, it is open until March! Double bladed, figure, and hockey skates are available and range from a toddler 8 to a men’s 13!
- There are 2 great Santa experiences we recommend! Santa’s Flight Academy at Fair Oaks Mall and Santa’s Headquarters at Tysons Corner Center. These engaging experiences are fun for the whole family and create a fun tradition and memories for years to come!
- Winter Lights Hayride and Walk Nights Daily is a beautiful place for winter photo opportunities! Also, lots of fun outdoor activities for the kids if the weather is good! In the evening, warm up around a fire pit and make some s’mores! If you’re looking for fresh greenery for the holidays, they have a wonderful selection of trees, wreaths, and holly.
- Looking for some shopping in a European Market? Old Town Alexandria’s Holiday Market has different events every weekend and a Children’s Corner activity every Saturday and Sunday from 12-5pm. Keep an eye on Santa’s schedule as he is there on select Sundays in December!
- Do you like the performing arts? There are many renditions of the Nutcracker happening in our area. Take your pick from this list here:
- Thrill seekers can still get a last-minute hurrah by visiting Six Flags Holiday in the Park! Some rides will still be open and the main drag will be adorned in thousands of lights. Nibble on holiday treats, visit with Santa, attend a show on stage, and catch your favorite Looney Tunes characters! Tickets are discounted now!
- If you live closer to Downtown, the National Zoo has a great holiday lights display! Snacks and treats are available, some animal exhibits are open, and kids can take photos with costume characters! Best of all? Its FREE!
- Don’t miss Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer at the Gaylord National Resort! Holiday merchandise and foods along with a fully interactive display is sure to be fun for both children and adults! Also check out Gaylord Nationals ICE—2 million pounds of ice sculptures!